And Suddenly, 2015

Finally! Marty McFly will arrive to the future soon, and we must be ready for abolished lawyers, automated clothing, flying cars, and hoverboards. Or perhaps we live in the Event Horizon time line, and we need to establish our first colony on the Moon. Space: Above and Beyond's Aero-Tech will be founded; Shinji will get into an Evangelion for the first time; and Flash Gordon, The Phantom, and Mandrake the Magician will go toe to toe with Ming the Merciless as Defenders of the Earth.

Well, that's as maybe.

What can you expect from THIS blog in 2015? Glad you asked, because those are the only things I can really guarantee.

1. Daily reviews. I'm going to start the year off with a blast from the past, Space: 1999, follow it up with Alien Nation, then maybe Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, before finally digging into a much bigger project: The X-Files. The latter will include all 9 seasons, 2 films, 3 seasons of Millennium, and the complete Lone Gunmen, and should easily take us to 2016.

2. Reign of the Supermen. You might have picked up the clues from last Saturday's Reign article because it's true, I'm giving Superman a rest in 2015. Taking his place for 52 weeks is another character dear to my heart, and I'll be doing the same "collect all versions" exercise with him instead. Get ready for something I'll be calling Snapshots of Jimmy Olsen. Guys, it's going to be full of Silver Age goodness (among other things).

3. Having just finished a "31 indie SF films in 31 days" through December, I was asked by friends and family if I was sad it was over. I don't know yet. It was a commitment, but I discovered a lot of cool little films. I might do another marathon like that in late Spring, I don't know. But because I've been using iCheckMovies to chronicle my journey through cinema, I've become increasingly aware that I've missed a number of films everyone else seems to have seen and enjoyed. The site's master list is in order of "most favorited" and I'm missing only a few from the first half-dozen pages or so. I think I'll try to check off one of these every week in 2015, more or less in the order presented there. For January (as an example), that will mean The Godfather, WALL-E, Up, and The Prestige.

And obviously, I'll keep doing all the features I've liked doing in 2014 and think up more, I'm sure. So Happy New Year everyone! I hope it treats you well. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to finish my annual Siskoid Awards post (the year's best). That has to be up before lunch!

Comments