Kung Fu Fridays in March

March's dramatic white poster features Brigitte Lin, star of the month's first selection.

The Bride with White Hair - Looking at my collection of Asian films, the 1990s are decidedly under-represented, but after references to the mythical Bride in Forgotten Kingdom and the Brigitte Lin-starring Royal Tramp II, I snatched up this 90s classic. If my crew likes it, it's a safe bet I'll order the sequel.

8 Diagram Pole Fighter - If you give me the choice of any Shaw Brothers selection, chances are I'll go for one that's directed by Lau Kar-Leung, and preferably starring Gordon Liu. Actually, the actual star Fu Sheng died in a car accident while making this film, shifting the focus to Liu.

Three Kingdoms - Subtitled Resurrection of the Dragon, this historical epic has a really nice cast that includes Maggie Q, Sammo Hung and Andy Lau. Hard to resist!

Ong Bak 3: The Final Battle - Tony Jaa returns to his primal martial artist, with this sequel to Ong Bak 2, both films prequels (hundreds of years earlier) to the original Ong Bak. From what I hear, this may be heavier on Buddhist philosophy than it needs to be, coinciding with Jaa's recent monastic journey, but I don't necessarily mind that. Because I have to work that Friday, this KFF will be shown on a Saturday (it's a KFS!).

And that's what visitors to my home can look forward to every Friday (well, and one Saturday) this month!

Comments