Kung Fu Fridays in September

Another month, another poster, this one featuring awesome Chinese actor Simon Yam, popular mostly for cop tragedy movies, which appears to be Hong Kong's second biggest film output after martial arts movies. Here's what my faithful local followers can look forward to every Friday as we head towards autumn...

Martial Club - What is this? My man Gordon Liu AND My Young Auntie (Kara Hui Ying-Hung), both choreographed by my all-time favorite action director Lau Kar Leung? I don't even care what the story is!!! (I'm not prepared to take the American title "Instructors of Death" as any kind of clue. I'm smarter than that by now.)

Election - Johnnie To's best known crime tragedy (so of course Simon Yam is in it). Tarantino called it the best film of 2005, I guess that's why.

The Royal Tramp - Before Kung Fu Hustle, Stephen Chow cut his teeth on Royal Tramp movies about a kung fu con man. After Election, I'm sure we'll be up for some comedy.

The Legend of Fong Sai-Yuk - Known in America as simply "The Legend", this relatively early Jet Li picture may as well be a Once Upon a Time in China from the DVD cover, but China has more than folk heroes than just Wong Fei-Hung

I like that line-up! Starts tonight!

Comments