So I'm Enjoying My Acadian Holiday When...

Happy August 15th, everybody! It's the Acadian National Holiday, something we French-Canadians from Atlantic Canada observe, usually with high-starch foods and zwing-zwing music. But it's early yet and I'm just reading comics. THIS is the sort of thing that drives me CRAZY:Paris Tribune, so I assume that's meant to be a French headline in Last Family of Krypton #1. Hello, Babel Fish! Geez, four words and you couldn't translate them properly? Look, comic book writers, I volunteer to translate your smatterings of French dialogue, ok? Just send me an email. Cripes!

Ok, so obviously, it means Space Family Saga Continues, and I know that because it's almost written in English there. In actual French, it would probably read La saga de la famille de l'espace continue. Right now, the words are nonsense, as if I said Family. Space. Brick. Tofu. The way French syntax works, it reads like Saga Family Space Continues, and Continues has a grammatical mistake (there's no S at the end of third person verbs). GAH!!!!

/Rant

Comments

Tim Knight said…
I haven't spoken or studied French for years, but even I could tell there was something a bit wonky about that headline!

The rest of the comic was good though :-)
snell said…
Zwing-zwing music??
Siskoid said…
Flea: Yes, it just bugs the hell out of me. I bet the Japanese headline wasn't any better.

Snell: I believe I'm talking about fiddling.