This Week in Geek (14-20/07/08)

Buys'n'Gifts

Getting a couple of Douglas Coupland books I already had for a friend's collection only meant I was gonna get one I didn't for myself. I know Miss Wyoming isn't supposed to be among his best, but being a completist for one thing, I find that I am a completist for all things.

New DVDs: Shaun of the Dead and the complete Birds of Prey, both sight unseen. It is my way.




"Accomplishments"

Comics: Finished Fables vol.10: The Good Prince, a fairly thick chapter dealing with the Frog Prince's destiny. Fables is one series I definitely don't mind picking up in trade. It belongs on a book shelf, and though it's been months since I read vol.9, I picked the story right up without missing a beat. That's what happens when characters and story are that strong. Now I'm really hoping Jack of Fables is as good, because I'm not waiting another few months before ingesting more Fables goodness.





Movies: Flipped Adaptation, which wasn't hard seeing as the DVD remains no-frills to this day. It scans just like a lot of stuff I read, its postmodern twist definitely appreciated, film and reality intersecting beautifully. It's a movie about writing that movie. As soon as the thriller-writing brother touches the script, the film turns Hollywood, again, a good twist, but it's still the least interesting part of the film. Necessary to make its point, but thriller clichés nonetheless. But there's something else going on, I think. The twin idea seems to have a relationship to the script for "The 3", and the brothers are definitely two sides of the same coin: The anguished artist who wants to create something new, and the def technicians who knows how to cater to the Industry. Not as unusual as Being John Malkovitch, but a nice piece.

RPGs: Tested out a few ideas for our Black Ops game, but the details are CLASSIFIED. Sorry. And fnord.

GTA4 completion: 79.50%. Addiction Level: Ready for the Old Ultra-Violence (skipping right over Downward Spiral.)

Someone Else's Post of the Week
Anita Blake Vampire Hunter is possibly one of the worst mainstream comics series on the stands (and that's saying a LOT), but it has one redeeming feature: Chris Sims' hilarious annotations. Now the series is over (but for how long?) and Chris went out with a bang, covering both #11 and 12 in one go. Head to the Invincible Super-Blog for one last Anita Blake hurray, won't you?

Comments