Body Image

You know, I don't make any bones about it, I like a girl with meat on her frame. I like the chubby girls. Always have. Only recently have I allowed skinny girls to turn my head. Me, I call that personal growth. Of course, the media is particularly keen to tell me what I should and should not like. TV and film is repleat with so-called perfect bodies, and more that one young woman has succumbed to eating disorders or soul-crushing insecurity because she could not achieve that level of "perfection". But 50 years ago, voluptuousness was the beauty standard. So what happened?

Superman happened.

Let's go back 50 years to 1958 and Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane #5. The story: "The Fattest Girl in Metropolis." This is where Superman taught kids that fat was uncool, and that nobody wants to marry the big girl. (Despite the fact that he doesn't want to marry a thin Lois either.) In this thing, Lois walks in front of a "growth beam" that makes her 100 pounds heavier overnight. So bear in mind that she's only 200 lbs. Struggling with obesity, but hardly able to...
...break a car's axle!

Oh wait, three large women in the same car? My bad. Certainly there's no excuse for giving her a reinforced chair:
Do all the 200 lbs. gents use them around the office?

Given that it will later be revealed Superman knew it was her all along, and despite the fact he tries to spare her humiliation later on, he's pretty cruel about the weight thing here:
Dude. You can juggle planets. Cut her a little slack.

More dignity-robbing, confidence-crushing claims made by this comic include:
-Full-figured women buy their clothes at a store called "The Fat Girl's Shoppe".
-Lois is convinced that "nobody loves a fat girl" (sob).
-Fat girls can't keep from eating:
-And when they eat, oh boy, is it ever expensive. Superman spends his entire paycheck on Lois' last dinner as a big girl (chomp).
-Oh yeah, and you better not walk past the circus:
Unless you want a job, that is.

It's a cruel world out there, and it got just a little bit crueler back in 1958.

This article by special request from Bauble.

Comments

Anonymous said…
BUAHAHAAHA!!! I love how so politically incorect ye Superman of olde can be!
Adama said…
Wow, Superman IS a dick!

I mean Jesus, she was a little heavy, sure, but its not like she ended up like one of those people who need a crane and a wrecking ball to get outside.
De said…
My lovely wife of almost six years now is a little over 200 pounds and she's awesome. Superman can suck it.
Siskoid said…
I don't have access to the story, but I've seen the "Black Lois" story and it's even worse, gents.
Anonymous said…
"Fat" humor is hard to get right, and still be tasteful. Usually only works when it's from a "fat" comedian. Dude's laughing at himself, right?
mwb said…
I just read that in the Showcase Superman Family 2.

Supes is a dick. It can't be said often enough.
LiamKav said…
I dunno. Fat humour from a fat comedian can get a bit boring. It sometimes becomes a bit "is that all you can talk about?"