RPGs I'd like to play

Sadly, but inevitably I suppose, our DCHeroes campaign seems to be fizzling out. That's fine. Players come and go, schedules change, and maybe our initial enthusiasm is cooling into simple interest. So maybe it's time to tie up loose ends on the Crusaders and cancel the series and start recruiting for something new? Here then are the RPG campaigns I could be convinced of starting:

Star Trek Reboot: I've long had this idea of re-doing Star Trek, but recasting the alien species as truly alien beings, possibly using GURPS Aliens to do so. The last time we ran a Star Trek game, it fell apart because of the command structure - characters were bridge crew, so they would have a lot of personnel under their command... and abused that priviledge. It was more realistic, yes, but went against the format. My reboot might simply do away with large starships altogether. As simple as saying that a large warp field won't hold, really.

Planescape: Last year there was talk of a Planescape campaign using the FATE system, and I'm still game (though also simply using ol' AD&D 2nd - modified). Sigil, the City of Doors, and the many different and exciting environments she makes accessible might entice old school gamers to join the game, especially since they're all on World of Warcraft now (some similarities with The Burning Crusade). But for me it's with the Factions that the setting shines. The idea that your worldview actually does affect the multiverse, leading to philosophical wars, etc. is brilliant. And I bought almost every product for it, so there's a wealth there.

GURPS... something: I have more than a 100 GURPS sourcebooks, and I like to find ways to use them. For a good while, until too many players moved away in fact, I was running something I called GURPS Shiftworld. Every few sessions, the world would "shift" and become another, as detailed by a different sourcebook. In addition, the characters themselves would be revised to fit that world, but they were the only ones to perceive the shift and remember their other life, superimposed on their new one. Sounds a bit complex, but it was incredibly rewarding and free-form. I could easily restart Shiftworld, though maybe I should shake things up again. Maybe instead do a Multiversal Nexus kind of thing where players could make characters from the world of their choice and travel the dimensions like Runaways or Booster Gold.

GURPS Blacks Ops: Of all the campaign settings GURPS offers, this mix of X-Files, Men in Black, Torchwood and the Matrix most interests me. Not sure GURPS is the best system for its over the top action (Feng Shui maybe?), but GURPS does supply a lot of resources that would fit the style (Monsters, Villains, Faerie, Horror, Cabal, Illuminati, etc.). Am I the only one who sees promise in a mission to gun down an army of Yeti on a Tibetan plateau?

Over the Edge: Once attempted to start a story on the Interzone-like Al Amarja, and I'm still game. I think I have the material and fevered mind to feed a truly screwed up game of creepy weirdness. And if I ever run out, I can always throw in some Unknown Armies.

Time Lords: Ok, despite the difficulties, which include figuring out paradoxes and players not knowing enough history (or knowing too much - damn these History majors I play with!), I still haven't lost my hard-on for time travel games. One I'd be game to try is Time Lords, not to be confused with the Doctor Who-related Timelord, in which you get to play yourself (there's a way to stat yourself out). You're lost in time and from there, well, I'm sure you start changing. Unfortunately, I don't love the rest of the system (too old school and crunchy), so maybe it's just that premise I like. Never mind.

Paranoia: Can't quite be called a campaign, since characters aren't expected to survive the missions, but as an interlocking series of humorous one-shots, I'd love to play it again. Unfortunately, I don't think it works unless you have 5 or 6 players (the more, the more traitorous), and I doubt I'll have that kind of pool to play with on a regular basis.

Toon: For one-shots or an actual series, yeah why not? It'd be great fun to play a Looney Tunes-style game, especially since most of my players are quick-witted and funny improv players. I'm sure it would be Anamaniacs crazy.

So there you have it. Ultimately, it's my players' call. They may want to save the Crusaders, or might want me to resurrect Dream Park or Shiftworld, or go another way entirely. Time will tell. Or we'll just roll the dice!

Comments

De said…
My wife is a Steve Jackson MIB. I wish I were making that up.
Siskoid said…
What does that MEAN exactly?
Anonymous said…
Or one interesting excercise could be to continue Shiftworld....IN World of Warcraft. The Spade brothers and company shift to Azeroth.

Just the mind game of trying to fit the canon from one game with the canon of the other could be fun. And you've been wanting to play an Undead Warlock on a RPPVP server have you not? Sounds very Jeremiah Dark to me!

Thrall could be Simone's father. They have similar storylines (taking over a big company/army to bring it back to glory).

At worst, it could be non-SW canon fun.
Anonymous said…
For your black ops campaign, you should consider using the Ninja's & Superspies rules by Palladium. Sounds like that rule-set would be perfect for what your are thinking of.

I ran a Palladium rules based game that was 50% Mob Genre, 30% X-Files, 10 % Cthluhu, and 10% low level Super Hero. A splice of Ninja's & Superspies/Beyond the Supernatural worked quite well.
Siskoid said…
Omne: Thanks for the tip, but if I go with Black Ops, it's not going to be Palladium. I have only one Palladium product for one thing, and for another it's way crunchier than what I and my players enjoy. Rules-Lite is the order of the day over here. GURPS is just at the limit, and even so, it's usually GURPS Lite and no more. If I don't really want to use GURPS for this game, it's that it's too lethal for a truly cinematic game, though obviously, that's tweakable.

Pout: Online play is all very well and good, but there's nothing like sitting around a table, as you well know. Any gaming online, you will be included in and is separate from this discussion anyway. (Though obviously, you'd be welcome at the table on your visits.)
Anonymous said…
Man, wish I were in Moncton.

(sigh) (that's the little RPG gamer geek locked up deep in me sighing)
Siskoid said…
Like you'd have time between family and doctoring, eh? But you'd be more than welcome if it were possible.
De said…
A MIB is a Steve Jackson rep who goes out and promotes their games at events like conventions and such. If SJ is manning a table at a particular show, she helps out. Also, she will occasionally proofread books for glaring errors and such.
Siskoid said…
That is very cool. Don't hesitate to tell her I love STG products. I have 90% of all GURPS books produced (which is a LOT), subscribed to Pyramid Online for a couple years (and will again eventually), I've used Car Wars, and shown my love for INWO on this very blog in the past.

Haven't quite converted to 4th edition, though the Lite version did impact the character sheets at the time, so we were playing a sort of hybrid, I guess.
Anonymous said…
*sigh* I know. It's just that I miss that game soooo much.

Kinda like Dr. Mi, my little geek inside wants to break out.