Because everybody's doing it: An Easter post

It's Easter, and the blogosphere is knee-deep in egg-laying bunnies. But haven't we forgotten what Easter is REALLY about? Namely: Treading the fine line between making fun or religion and avoiding lightning strikes? With a freak snow storm outside my window already, I better be careful here. How about some harmless religious comics covers? Sounds safe enough.

This is the very first religious comic I ever came across.
It stayed on the comics rack at my local store for, like, a year. Maybe the clerk thought it a sin to take it down. It taunted me with its promise of that "Assassination Attempt!" and every week, I was closer and closer to grabbing it. I'm pretty sure that the day I was all set to sacrifice my purchase of, I dunno, Peter Porker the Spectacular Spider-Ham, it was finally gone.

Of course, today's kids want the post-assassination attempt stuff too. Essential John Paul II:
With an introduction by an actual Cardinal! Wow.

But the Catholic Church isn't what Easter is all about, they just market it.

No, it's about the big man himself.

Specifically, it's about the day he came back from the dead.

Inspirational covers like this are the standard, but to get to that point, it's not all just lambs and kids.

There's a lot of blood and violence too. A lot of hardship and sacrifice. Get the complete story, which was apparently told in chronological order for the first time in THIS comic:
Wow. I didn't know that.

But whether you believe in miracles or not, whether you go to church or not, whatever your thoughts and feelings are, I think the message of peace and brotherhood stands on its own.

Have a good Equinox Festival of Rebirth, everyone!

Comments