This Week in Geek (29/01-4/02/07)

Buys

Since I was going North to Edmundston this weekend, my Edmundstonian friend Bauble asked if I could drop by a comic book shop here in Moncton and get Ultimates 2 #12 which his own local store had failed lay aside for him. Sure, no trouble. And while I was there, I was a little naughty and bought 100$ of books for myself. What can I say? I told myself I would try to complete my Showcase Presents collection and found Elongated Man, JLA vol.2, House of Mystery and Brave and the Bold. And then the guy at the counter tells me the 3-for-2 deal is still in effect! Well, I just had to go get a couple more trades, which turned out to be Essential Marvel Two-in-One (Ben Grimm co-stars with such luminaries as It the Living Colossus and Black Goliath... how could I resist?) and Essential Super-Villain Team-Up (which I know nothing about, but it stars Dr. Doom a lot, so it can't be bad). I now have too many books to really believe I'll read them all in any reasonable amount of time, especially since Amazon also sent me Showcase Presents Jonah Hex, and Challengers of the Unknown this week.

"Accomplishments"


On the Doctor Who front, could only complete 6
WhoCCG cards, but it does finish with the Tom Baker era and I've got to start thinking about the Peter Davisons now. Oh, and I listened to Gallifrey: Square One and thought it was pretty cool.

I just returned from Edmundston where I was refereeing
an improv tournament, but I did manage to squeeze in a short session of DCHeroes (our Crusaders campaign) using an abridged and adapted version of a humorous scenario from White Wolf magazine #25 (Feb/March 1991) called "Meta-Physical Problems" by John Terra. Pure silliness, but we had a lot of fun. One of my former players who's now in Ed'ston guest-starred as Blue Devil and got some great wisecracks in, and another official played a hilariously emo Red Tornado (it's all I had lying around) and now wants to play Reddy regularly! Yes, someone who wants to play Red Tornado full-time. You read it here first.

Website finds

Are cats for true Christians?
At some point, I'm going to tell you why I think cats are the true geek pet. It is apparently not the Christian pet. Bass from BassBlog pointed this thing out to me and I was halfway into writing a rebuttal when I sort of started thinking it was a hoax. Look at it and you tell me when it starts getting too crazy to be true.

People looking for the origin of All Your Base Are Belong To Us are directed to this site, where you can watch the video game intro and some fun vintage videos from the halcyon days of this Internet in-joke. I get asked about this way too often...

If Google somehow led you here because I keep mentioning DCHeroes, I hope you know about Writeups.org, where some great people (including some who worked on Blood of Heroes) are stating out characters in MEGS format. DC, Marvel, Image, WWF, real world... Tons of stuff, easily searchable.

Alright. Short week, but I still consider it productive. Thanks for reading.

Comments