Who's That? Rex the Wonder Dog

In the mid-80s, editor Robert Greenberger had to decide who got to be in DC Comics' seminal encyclopedia series and who had to be cut. With DC's 50-year history, there were a lot of characters who just couldn't be included. Like every single villain the original Teen Titans ever encountered, for example. And while I'm fine with skipping over Ding-Dong Daddy Dowd or Frogzilla (I'm lying, Frogzilla got SHAFTED), the room these characters left was sometimes used... strangely?

Case in point, Rex the Wonder Dog:It might seem strange to give a simple dog a full-page entry over some spandex-wearing character, but you're missing a piece of the puzzle. Check this out:
I'd like to see the Littlest Hobo try to jump kick a puma in the chest! This is the kind of stuff you'll only find in comics, folks.

Rex held the fort for DC during the 50s, running bi-monthly for 8 years in his own comic. I had this already written and was waiting on scans when I saw the Fortress of Fortitude today did a feature on Rex. If you want to see a white dog ride a horse, or visit a subatomic world where dogs are the dominant species, you're just a click away.

Comments

Marc Burkhardt said…
Hey, thanks for the link!

I thought people didn't really care about Rex.
Siskoid said…
Funny: While you were writing this, I was writing on yours.

And I don't know if people "really" care about Rex, but he's now in Shadowpact and starred in Superboy and the Ravers, so I guess there are comics creators who have some affection for the character.